Scenic Ranch Land ~ Hay ~ Hunting ~ Farming 2320 acres ABSOLUTE LAND AUCTION
Wednesday, January 26, 2022 @ 1:00 pm
This ranch will have new owners!
No minimums or reserves!
Wed. Jan. 26, 2022 at 1 pm MT
Auction held at Community Center in New Underwood, SD
Just East of the Black Hills of South Dakota
Directions to property: From Rapid City SD (at Flying J), go 17 miles east on I-90 to Exit 78, New Underwood, go west & then south through business district (S A Ave.) continuing through curves to become 161st Ave. Go another 3 miles south, then 3 ½ miles west on 232nd St.
****Maps and info are in mail boxes as you reach property at 2nd farmstead at 15735 232nd St., New Underwood, SD 57761.
Main headquarters is at 23101 157th Ave., New Underwood, SD 57761.
Tract Signs are posted & ribbons mark corners of tracts.
- Outstanding Location—This beautiful ranch is offered in 10 Tracts, and as an Entire Contiguous Unit
- Small tracts offered for folks who work in Rapid City, but want to live on a small ranch with children attending a smaller school
- Amazing Views of the faces on Mt. Rushmore, Black Elk Peak, Bear Butte, the Black Hills, Ellsworth, and New Underwood
- Headquarters at End-of-the-Road (no thru traffic)
- Good Soils for Crops or excellent hay and pasture
- Rolling Country Slopes are covered with Good Grass
- Proximity to Rapid City allows potential for subdivision of some tracts
- Spotted trophy deer multiple times
The Powell family has owned the heart of this property for over 90+ years. All buildings were built with double strength, as that was how Vern did things. With Vern and Florabelle gone, and their children living out of state, this ranch is being sold—Time to provide a good living for new owners.
- 23 road miles to Rapid City ~ Only 6 miles from Hwy 44 at Caputa
- Accessed by maintained county gravel roads, I-90, or Hwy 44
- Just south of Sunset Ranch Subdivision
- AMAZING HUNTING – See deer every time we tour!
- A mix of level to rolling pasture and cropland, with some scenic slopes
- Four+ wells ~ Scattered Stock Dams & Dugouts
- Electricity on or near many of the tracts
- Property is cross-fenced
- Headquarters has large, overly stout buildings, corrals, loading and working alleys, plus windbreak with concrete posts
- Dugout in Sec. 16 never goes dry
- Some hayfields are fenced out
Note: Many acres are fairly level with good soil productivity ratings, indicating these Native pastures could be broken for productive cropland. Tax assessor, based on soil survey has identified 952.53 acres as tillable soils and 1,367.47 acres as pastureland.
Call auctioneers for private tour, or visit with Auctioneers and view property on: Wednesdays January 12 and 19 from Noon to 2 pm
*******Tract 1: E1/2NW1/4 of Sec. 22, along 232nd St.: 80 acres ~ 2nd headquarters ~ See building list ~ Working well ~ Set up for ranchland, but acres could be farmed or hayed ~ 52 acre hay field, could be cropped ~ Only 6 miles from Caputa at Hwy 44 ~ Electric meter ~ House has been completely winterized each year, when not occupied ~ Stock Dam ~ Could add Tract 2 for a nice quarter ~ Access along 232nd St
*******Tract 2: W1/2NW1/4 of Sec. 22, along 232nd St. & 157th Ave: 80 acres ~ 47 acres Cropland/Hay plus pasture ~ could be a good homesite, only 6 miles from Caputa at Hwy 44 ~ airport & Rapid City minutes away ~ utilities nearby ~ good addition to Tract 1 ~ Access from 232nd St or 157th Ave
******Tract 3: NE1/4 of Sec. 15; S1/2SE1/4 of Sec. 10: 240 acres ~ Good Pasture with excellent grass ~ some acres of cropland/hay adjoins cropland in Tract 9 ~ Hunting ~ Access from double fenced section line from 232nd St. or from 157th Ave. ~ Tract 7 would be excellent addition to this tract
*******Tract 4: SE1/4 of Sec. 9: 160 acres ~ Main Headquarters ~ See building list ~ Good pasture, hay or crops ~ Well ~ Electric Meter ~ Some rough draws for hunting, beauty, & protection ~ Heart of the Property ~ At the end of a maintained county gravel road ~ Great addition for many tracts ~ Water Pipeline already in place from well in Tract 7 ~ Quick trips to Rapid City, Caputa, or New Underwood ~ With these buildings, add Tracts 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9, to set up a ranch size of your choice
*******Tract 5: SW1/4 of Sec. 9: 160 acres ~ 65+ acre Hay Field ~ many tillable soils, including designated cropland which extends into Tract 9 ~ Stock Dams ~ Many deer & other hunting options ~ Tracts 4, 6, 8, or 9 would make good additions ~ Section line access
*******Tract 6: SE1/4 of Sec. 8: 160 acres ~ Pasture ~ Some Tillable Soils ~ Stock Dam ~ Good addition to Tract 4, or by itself with access from the west or the east ~ Electricity nearby
*******Tract 7: NW1/4 of Sec. 15: 160 acres ~ Pasture, Hay, or Crops ~ Good stock dam ~ Well ~ Underground water pipeline to Tract 4 ~ Hay yard ~ Excellent addition to many tracts ~ Electric Meter ~ Good access along 157th Ave
*******Tract 8: N1/2N1/2 of Sec. 16: 160 acres ~ Presently in pasture, but areas could be tilled for food plots ~ Stock Dams ~ Sec. 16 Dugout never goes dry ~ Many deer & other hunting options ~ Tracts 4, 5, 6, 7 or 10 would make good additions ~ Good access
*******Tract 9: N1/2 of Sec. 9; W1/2 of Sec. 10: 640 acres ~ Mostly pasture ~ Some hay meadows ~ Rolling draws, but also more level areas for hay, etc. ~ Stock Dams ~ Many deer ~ Great draws with outstanding protection ~ Could dam up rolling draws for additional water ~ Could add Tract 4 for home & excellent Cattle Buildings & Corrals ~ Good access from 157th Ave
*******Tract 10: S1/2 and S1/2N1/2 of Sec. 16: 480 acres ~ Multiple Stock Dams ~ Pasture, Hay, or Crops ~ Good soils ~ Great access from 157th Ave ~ Home Sites
Headquarters / TRACT 4 / SE4 of Sec. 9: 23101 157th Ave., New Underwood
- Single story well-insulated home w/basement, 2,448 square feet, 1 bedroom & 1 bath on main floor, large corner windows in open concept kitchen, dining & living rooms ~ 2×6 walls in house ~ all insulated, even basement & interior walls
- Basement has wood stove, ½ bath, NTC bedroom, family & laundry rooms, pressure tank & 2 exits ~ Lived in basement while upstairs was completed
- NEW shingles 2015 ~ elec heat ~ septic pumped 2014 ~ Septic plumbing Roto-rooted Sept 2021 ~ kitchen appliances, washer & dryer stay
- Detached 24×30 double car garage ~ elec opener, insulated, concrete floor, work bench, shelves, pegboard ~ new shingles in 2015
- Overly stout, extremely strong Machine Shed 86×36 (wht/red steel) built better than usual building specs, in 1990 ~ East portion has dirt floor ~ 2×6 studs above 4’ concrete sidewalls ~ 2×6 rafters 2 ft on centers ~ west 20×36 office/shop portion has concrete floor, insulation, & work benches ~ wide stairs to 20×36 storage loft over workshop area ~ 2 sets solid wood, steel-sided,16×16 sliding doors on south ~ 220 v & 110 v elec ~ Hail Screens on Windows ~ Loading dock nearby
- Long 168×20 Livestock Shed ~ corrals adjacent ~ concrete pillar support on side walls
- Stout truck or trailer Loading Chute & Alley
- Stout Working Alley with Concrete Pad for Working Chute
- Galv 48×26 Shed ~ elec ~ hay manger and bale storage on west end w/ door to load hay or straw ~ large rafters 2 ft on center ~ building is west of house, built in 1970
- Free Stall 64×59 Barn, north of headquarters ~ sliding doors on east, Stalls on north side ~ south side setup so calves can get inside if needed ~ built in 1979
- 10×14 Stucco “little house” w/shutters (tack room) ~ new shingles 2015
- 500 gal. overhead Fuel Tank
- Multiple Water Hydrants
- Windbreak supported by concrete pillars
2nd Home & Buildings / TRACT 1 / E2NW4 of Sec. 22: 15735 232nd St., New Underwood
- Vacant since 2016, but has been continually winterized since 2016
- Ranch style stucco home, 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, plus attached 1-car garage, LP heat, No LP tank, new shingles 2015, septic east of house was pumped 2014, new water ball valve in home & water tank in 2016
- July 2021: new pump in well 300’ east of house— This 50’ well waters the house, pasture & barn
- 30×40 galv. Cattle Shed — has a long 16×56 lean-to attached
- 16×32 Gray Steel Shed built in 1980
- Smaller, Well-built Round Steel Grain Bin w/ concrete floor, 1700 bu.
- 12×14 steel sided Wood Grain Bin, built in 1980
- Multiple Water Hydrants
Rapid City Airport: only 14 miles from property
Real Estate Taxes: Seller pays all the 2021 Real Estate Taxes, with 2022 taxes pro-rated to date of closing
NOTE: Tax assessor, based on soil survey has identified 952.53 acres as tillable soils and 1,367.47 acres as pastureland.
West River Electric (605-393-1500): 3 electric meters, in Sec. 9(Tract 4), Sec.15(Tract 7), and Sec. 22 (Tract 1). Seller will cooperate in the transfer of meters to new owners.
FSA Form 156: Form 156 shows 349.8 acres of cropland with no Crop Base Acres
Legals: All in Pennington, County, east of Black Hills Meridian
Township 1 North, Range 10 East:
160 A. Sec. 8: SE4
640 A. Sec. 9: ALL
400 A. Sec. 10: W2; S2SE4
320 A. Sec. 15: N2
640 A. Sec. 16: ALL
160 A. Sec. 22: NW4
New Underwood School District: K-12, good academics & sports in smaller class sizes
Churches: St. John the Evangelist Catholic, Prairie Baptist, also nearby churches in Rapid City
Mineral Rights: Seller will transfer any, and all, mineral rights that they presently have in this property to the new owner(s).
Soil Ratings: 838 acres have been identified as Nunn or Kyle Soils with Ag productivity ratings from 0.67 to 0.73.
Terms: Successful bidder will deposit 15 % irrevocable earnest money on Auction Day with balance due in certified funds on, or before, March 1, 2022. Property sells without buyer contingency. Have financial arrangements secured prior to bidding. Marketable title transferred by Trustee’s Deed, subject to any easements, restrictions, or reservations of record. Possession upon closing. Certified funds due at closing.
Fences: Present fences are assumed to be on legal perimeter of the property, but these boundaries are not guaranteed. Some present fences are not located exactly on the legal boundaries of the individual tracts. If sold in tracts, some additional fencing may need to be provided by Buyers. Tract corners are approximately marked, but should not be confused with an actual land survey.
Acreages: Acreage determined by Pennington County Assessors, FSA maps, and Agri-Data Surety maps & sold by legal description only. These acreages determine the total price of each parcel, but there is no guarantee of exact number of acres in each parcel. No survey provided. If sold in tracts, interior corners are deemed reliable, however, neither Seller or Auctioneer/Brokers are making any guarantees or warranties, actual or implied, as to number of acres in individual tracts, or in the entire unit. Seller will not provide any surveys.
Title Insurance & Closing: Sandra Heaton of Haakon County Abstract Co, Philip, SD, 605-859-2461, will conduct the closing. Policy is available for inspection prior to auction. Title Insurance and Closing Agent Fee will be split between Buyer and Seller.
1031 Exchange: Seller will cooperate to facilitate a 1031 exchange, if needed by the Buyer, as long as closing deadline is met.
Inspect Property to the extent deemed necessary and rely upon your own judgment when bidding. Do your own research both onsite and offsite. Descriptions and information are from sources deemed reliable; however, neither the Seller, Auctioneers, nor associated personnel is making any guarantees or warranties, actual or implied. Property is sold “As-is, Where-is.”
Announcements made at Auction take precedence over any printed material or prior representations. Auctioneers represent Seller in this transaction.
~Broker Participation Invited~
Owner: G & R Powell, LLC
Dan Piroutek 605-544-3316 Lonnie Arneson 605-798-2525
Piroutek Logo RE Lic. # 282 Arneson Logo RE Lic. # 11296